The King's Daughter
Lady of the Roses
Reading Group Guide — Pale Rose of England
- After reading PALE ROSE OF ENGLAND, do you believe Richard/Perkin really was Richard of York? If so, tell us why. If not, list your reasons.
- What do you think of King Henry and his treatment of Richard? What is King Henry’s political philosophy? Do you agree with him, or disagree? Explain your reasons. Is peace at any price ever justified?
- How did Catherine survive after what King Henry did to her child? Why was the child a threat if the father was really a boatman’s son? What do you think of King Henry for his actions? Are they justifiable, or not?
- Henry sends Catherine an intimate gift which she sends back to him. Do you think this was wise? Do you admire her for spurning the king’s advances, or do you believe she should have applied the old adage “You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”? Do you think she could have helped Richard by playing along with Henry, rather than rejecting him?
- After Richard’s death, Catherine marries three more times for love. How do you feel about this? What do you think it says about her love for Richard? What do you think it says about her as a person?
- Why is Catherine driven to desperate lengths when Henry VII proposes to her? How does she find a way out? What do you think of her for doing what she did? Do you condemn her for her ruse and using King Henry’s superstitions against him? What would you do if you were in her position?
- Catherine endures a great deal of heartache and loses her faith. How does she find it again? What keeps her going?
- Which one of her four husbands do you like best? Give your reasons.